Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Memories

Today, church was about living life together. Our church has a fall/winter session and a spring session of life groups. Which are basically groups of 10-15 people meeting together to share their lives, fellowship, and grow closer to Christ together. We are about to begin the fall/winter session. So, this morning was about life groups.

It made me think of the times that I felt I truly and fully lived life together with other people. Yes, obviously this happens in family and in college. But the strongest memory and possibly the most impactful time of living in community was after college when Chad and I bought a house. We had been away from Newberg, OR for a year and a half. We moved back, bought a house, and had anywhere from 1-3 guys living with us. We knew them all from college. There was Pat, who is an elementary teacher needed a place to live in the area and it was great having him accept our offer of a room. Travis was working at George Fox University in town and a coffee shop. Travis and Pat were roommates in college and decided to share the larger bedroom and bathroom downstairs. Then, there was Ryan. He had gone to California after graduating to do an internship for youth ministry...only to find out that it wasn't God's plan for him to be there. He showed up one night at our house and we immediately offered the upstairs room to him. He eventually accepted the offer. We'd loved the time spent living with these guys. Our community got bigger as Travis got a girlfriend who was over almost everyday and became one of best friends. Then, sadly, Ryan moved out to go teach in South Korea. However, we quickly added Mark to the community. Mark moved to Newberg to be closer his girlfriend, Amy. Which made the community even bigger! We also had Steve stay for a while on the couch. And too many other friends use the couch and floor as places to sleep!

We not only had fun playing games, watching "How it's Made", going to the beach and the zoo, etc. But we had deep conversation and truly connected through the hard times too. We went through friends moving to other countries, 2 engagements, one involving unhappy parents, major job issues, my miscarriage, and more. And in all these things we were fully open with each other. It was living in community at it's highest. I know for sure that living in this community helped me feel loved and supported through losing my first baby.

We have gotten to visit the Portland area for a few weddings and I still feel the community when We all get together again. I miss them. I may never have a close community like this again, but I am far closer to God and much off having had it for that short time!

So to the whole "Yellow House Group" ... I love you all and miss you all. I am praying for you and you are forever in my heart!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I will get in touch with you when we visit Charlotte next time! I know Zach's Aunt Fern told me about the store 'Once upon a Child'. It sounds good! We don't have any actual consignment stores near us, just these big 2 time a year temporary sales.

Be sure to post tomorrow after your doctor's appointment! Meeting your baby for the first time is such a wonderful experience- I can't even explain it, you are just going to love it.

Unknown said...

Man, seriously! I totally miss you guys, and Newberg, and all my Fox friends, and Fox itself. Eva-Lynn definitely does too. I feel so incredibly grateful to have been part of such an awesome community for a few years. Living with you guys was so awesome! I wish it hadn't had to end!!!

ryan said...

i love you guys too... and morgan of course. i also miss that fun time of community... eating together... watching heroes together... talking life. can't wait until we can hang out again sometime.