Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Martin Luther

I was bored and reading quotes online. I came across a Martin Luther quote. (Not Martin Luther King, Jr. just Martin Luther) Then I looked up more quotes by this man. I then wanted to refresh myself on his history and who he was (I studied him at GFU). He was a faith filled, grace filled, bold man. He nailed a document called "The 95 Theses" on the door of a prominent Catholic church. The pope wasn't too happy, since this ended up starting the Protestant Reformation. And because of that a lot of people stopped attending and paying the Catholic church. Luther's main deal in the Theses was against indulgences and pardons... basically buying your way out of penalties of sin (what a scam!). Anyway, here are some quotes that I enjoyed from this man.

"Faith is permitting ourselves to be seized by the things we do not see."

"God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone, but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars."

"
Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart."

"I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope, Self."

"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

"If I am not allowed to laugh in heaven, I don't want to go there."

"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave."

"Peace if possible, truth at all costs."

"Pray, and let God worry."

All the above quotes are by Martin Luther.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Martin Luther is the man... I really like the "laughing in heaven" quote.

PS - you're, like, totally radical, in a completely bodacious way. Dude.

kristen said...

Great quotes, thanks for posting...Have you seen the movie "Luther"?...it's one of my favorites of all time....so much truth in it and a great story of such a great man (plus I really like Joseph Fiennes)...my favorite line from the movie, that I use in my life all the time, is when there are nights when he's vocally fighting with the devil. He finally comes to a point where he lays on the ground flat on his face with both arms straight out like a cross and says to God: "Save me, I am yours!" over and over....those few words have brought me out of many battles....they remind me that I need salvation and to claim it daily and also of whose child I am.....what a Saviour...what a friend, what a King....what a mighty God we serve!!